You Want New Maps? You’re Getting New Maps!
Huge news this week from World of Tanks for all WoT players worldwide.
After two years of bitching and griping over the lack of maps, the WoT developers have confirmed they are working on new maps, based on the new HD Map Engine.
The news comes via meetings in Minsk where the devs revealed their plans to a group of Community Contributors. I’m summarizing the big items here regarding maps, but there is a lot more to read about on the Rita Status Report.
So, here’s the big news:
- The devs say it was impossible to release new maps while they were converting over to the new HD Map Engine, BUT they are working on new maps now.
- The devs are currently working on “a few” completely new Winter Maps, but they are also doing a rework on some of the current maps, including the north spawn on Steppes, for example. Hopefully they’ll also fix Lakeville’s valley area, where tanks are inexplicably bogged down as if the map was made of flypaper!
- As these are released, some of the ‘duplicate maps’ will be removed from the game. These include Winterburg, the winter version of Ruinberg, Winter Himmelsdorf, and Fiery Salient.
- Three maps slated for major rework include Fisherman Bay, Erlenberg and Fjords. For example, hard cover in the form of dead tanks will be added to centre field areas in Fisherman Bay.
- Your computer should be able to handle the new maps … for a while. The engine is more efficient than the old one, so if your computer can handle WoT now, it should be able to handle the new maps. However, in one or two years tweaks to the game will raise the minimum requirements of the game.
- Entirely new technology and effects are being developed for winter maps.
If you guys haven’t seen the new maps yet, definitely check out the video below for a review by DezGamez, and stay until the end to see a very cool comparison between the old maps and the new HD maps.
Leave your comments below if you’d like; I’d love to hear what you think of the new maps, what kind of maps should be introduced, and which maps you’d like to see eliminated or changed. (Personally, I’d like to see Ensk gone; it’s just too small for high tier battles).